Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Frida Kahlo - Art Analysis



An Analysis of “The Little Deer”
http://www.frida-kahlo-foundation.org/The-Little-Deer.html
Gemma D.
I chose to analyze a painting done by Fridah Kahlo in 1946. She titled it “The Little Deer” (Kahlo). It depicts a deer jumping through a forest. The deer has the distinctive human face that Kahlo uses in many of her self-portraits. In addition, there are several arrows sticking out of the deer’s back, which are bleeding. We can see through the trees in the background to the ocean, where though it appears to be a bright day, there is a lightning storm. The tone at first glance seems hopeful as the deer leaps, but on second observation we see the arrows and lightening, and tone becomes more serious, and we worry if the deer will be able to complete her leap. I chose to analyze this piece because it reflects the struggles of women, especially those of a certain class, and really stuck out to me as a piece that deserves some deeper thought.
                  Though we did not discuss this piece in class, I still noticed issues of female struggle and oppression, which is one of the main reasons I would consider this a feminist piece. I believe by putting a female face as the head of the deer, Kahlo is trying to speak to women, especially women of her class and background, and I think this intended message is what makes the art feminist art. Also, the way Kahlo uses her own experience and struggles as a woman to fuel her art, adds to the pieces beauty, and also reinforces this feminist ideal. As Joanna Frueh suggests in her essay, “Feminist artists affirmed…the authenticity of their own experiences that informed their art” (Frueh, 190). Through this, Frueh is trying to describe the way with which feminist artists weave their own struggles into their art, as Kahlo did with this painting.
 I also saw the issue of gender oppression in the deer’s stance. She is trying to leap freely and move about the forest as she pleases, but she has been shot many times, in an effort to hold her back from being free. However, I believe Kahlo is sending a message to women with the deer’s posture. Because although the deer has several wounds, she does not seem injured and is still mid jump, indicating that no amount of pain or oppression can hold her back from acting freely. I think that by putting her own face as the deer’s, Kahlo is trying to represent the issues of women of her own class and background and how she personally feels oppressed  by the arrows of society, but that she will not let these issues drag her down or hold her back.
                  During the time that Kahlo was painting this piece World War II had ended recently and in December Mexico was to elect a new president. She had just remarried her husband Diego Rivera despite numerous affairs. In addition, her health was deteriorating quickly, and she underwent many surgeries on her spine and foot (Lucie-Smith). During this time Kahlo must have felt trapped in a loveless marriage and a broken body. This deer with her face seems to represent her longing to run free with no constraints, but the arrows are the burdens of life that are keeping her down. This piece is similar to many of Kahlo’s other works in that it has her distinct, serious face which adorns her self portraits, as well as many of her other pieces. In addition, much of her artwork seems to depict serious scenes of women in pain or suffering. This distinctive style and message of female suffering spread through many pieces is similar to some of the graffiti artists we studied in class. Both Kahlo and artists like Lady Pink have a distinctive personal message that spreads across many different works of art.  As Adrienne Rich said in her letter to Jane Alexander, chair of the National Endowment for the arts, “I believe in art’s social presence – as breaker of official silences, as voice for those whose voices are disregarded, and as a human birthright” (Rich, 99). As we discussed in class, many times women in the media are portrayed as silent or voiceless, but as Rich says, many artists such as Kahlo and Lady Pink reverse this by breaking the silence and bringing to light issues that affect women.
                  I see Kahlo’s depiction of yearning to run free reflected in several of the readings from class, most notably Persepolis, by Marjane Satrapi. This graphic novel depicts Marjane growing up a girl amongst a somewhat oppressive and politically volatile Iran. As Marjane attempts to be a carefree girl growing up and experimenting with clothes and music, she is constantly restricted and warned against acting like a free woman. This reminded me of Kahlo’s leaping deer, as it is desperately trying to act freely despite the arrows in its back.
                  My response to this piece was initially sadness and anger, but the more I study it, the more hope I gain. At first, I fixated on the arrows and blood, and the sober expression Kahlo has as the deer’s face. This worried and angered me, as the deer just seems to want to leap, but the arrows are obviously holding it back. However, when I look at this piece longer, I see that the deer is not stumbling or bending from the arrows, but is still leaping a perfect arc through the forest. This makes me feel that the piece might be more of a rebellion, as if Kahlo is defying whatever depression or physical pain she is feeling, and forces herself to act freely despite her husband or anything else that might try to hold her back. I have much hope for this deer, and from Kahlo’s serious face she painted on it, I have no doubt the deer will focus and complete its leap, despite whatever issues it may carry on its back.


WORKS CITED:
Frueh, Joanna. “The Body Through Women’s Eyes” in The Power of Feminist Art, p.190-207.
Kahlo, Frida. The Little Deer. 1946. Frida Kahlo: The Complete Works. Web. 14 May 2012. <http://www.frida-kahlo-foundation.org/The-Little-Deer.html>.
Lucie-Smith, Edward. "Lives of the Great 20th-Century Artists." Artchive. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 May 2012. <http://www.artchive.com/artchive/K/kahlo.html>. 
Rich, Adrienne. “Why I Refused the National Medal for the Arts” in Arts of the Possible: Essays in Conversation, p. 98-103.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Very nice information of Frida Kahlo - Art Analysis. women in culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like (1) CANCER,(2) DIABETES,(3) HIV&AIDS,(4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,(5) CANCER,(6) IMPOTENCE,(7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY(8) DIARRHEA(9) ASTHMA(10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL(11)COLD SOREHERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAVE YOU BEEN IN SEARCH FOR GENUINE HACKER'S ONLINE?. HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MONEY TO BINARY OPTION SCAM OR ANY ONLINE SCAM WHATSOEVER?. WELL, YOU HAVE FOUND REDEMPTION IN ASORE CORP.
    asorehackcorp@gmail.com

    Asore Corp is a group of multinational Hacker's, an affiliate of Evil Corp. We make sure by all means necessary that our clients get the best of services on a🔐PAYMENT AFTER JOB IS DONE BASIS✅. Rather than send money and trust a criminal to fulfill your deal, you can make sure the job is done before WORKMANSHIP is paid for. You'll get excellent customer service.
    That's a 100% guarantee. Our Cyber security Technicians are on standby 24/7 to receive your job requests.

    ⚠️ BEWARE OF FRAUDSTARS looking to hoax.
    if you have been a VICTIM, contact : ✉️cyberprecinct@gmail.com for directives.
    Here, it's always a win for you.

    🔸OUR SERVICES🔸
    ➡️Binary Option funds recovery
    ➡️Social media hack
    ➡️Recovery of loan scam
    ➡️Credit repair (Equifax,Experian,Transunion)
    ➡️E mail hack
    ➡️College score upgrade
    ➡️Android & iPhone Hack
    ➡️Website design
    ➡️Website hack
    And lots more.

    DISCLAIMER: Asore Cyber Corp accepts no responsibility for any information,previously given to anybody by clients on as regarding the job. Asore Cyber Corp will not distribute contact information collected on any hacking job other than in the Asore corps Hacker's listings themselves, and will not sell contact information to third parties.

    CONTACT INFO:
    📧 asorehackcorp@gmail.com
    cyberprecinct@gmail.com

    Copyright ©️
    Asore Cyber Corp 2021.
    All rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. few week ago I felt some pains and I went to the hospital my doc told me I had hpv about 1 yr and I need to start the treatment early, he gave me some medicine to be taking and I told him no I’ll not, because I hated taking medicine when I won’t not see cure for the purpose. After I got home I started getting worried searching for strong advice and I found valid natural treatment online lot people says they got hpv cure from Dr onokun and I email Dr Onokun 3 days passed, I purchase his cure online some weeks after the process taking his treatment i got cured. I went for checkup twice after taking the natural treatment from the herbalist called Dr onokun and i tested negative. contact him on email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or his facebook page https://www.facebook.com/naturaltreatmentcenter1 or website via www.Dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931  ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best herbal remedy,,

    I was cured of herpes simplex virus,

    Robinsonbucler [ @ gmail com ].✅✅✅

    ReplyDelete